Can You Hear The Whispers of Your Soul?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." Ah such a wise man that Oscar Wilde!

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Kenzan

Tucked in a cozy corner of Collins Place in Melbourne, Kenzan is buzzing with folks out for authentic, fresh Japanese dinner. A and I accidentally spied this place a few weeks ago when we went to watch a movie; A being an avid sashimi lover was keen on trying the place out while I, on the other hand, was doubtful as the restaurant looked quite secluded, cold, thus overpriced and over-rated. Anyway, it was already erased from my memory until today when A decided that we should have a special dinner... at none other than Kenzan, a place he hasn't even tried before, and obviously has been lingering in his thoughts for some time.

Apprehensive me agreed, partly for the want to test a restaurant, partly to satisfy A's longing for his raw fish that melts in the mouth with savoury goodness. And oh, today we start our 3rd year of being together... tee-hee-hee! Somehow this time of the year has always been hectic and busy for both of us. Last year A was frantic with preparation f
or his overseas conference that we had to defer any celebration, and this time around it's another whirlwind of unending deadlines and conference talk to polish. I was prepared to defer celebration for another year. =) And so it was extra surprising that he took the evening off with me to discover a new addition to our roster of recommended good food places. Kenzan did not disappoint, and when I say that better believe that it's worth trying out as we are quite picky and critical with restaurant food. My prior impression was proven wrong and I humbly accept A's smug "I told you so's"... so long as you're happy my dear. It was also only this evening that we realised that the place has been given an award by The Age Good Food Guide, review as follows:

"In a town where sushi can too often be a listless, clumsy imitation of the real thing, Kenzan provides a lesson in how to do it right. Gloriously fresh, brilliantly coloured and presented with artisan skill, Kenzan's way with seafood is truly inspiring."

Here's a quick peek to some of the stuff that we had... an entree of soft shell crab in special dipping sauce, main of sashimi/sushi combination set (huge platter to satisfy huge appetites I tell ya), another main of mouth-watering unagi on Japanese rice (which unfortunately we devoured before it had the chance to pose for the camera).

Gochisou sama deshita!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jovs! I love Japanese food too but I'm very conventional - I stick to the good 'ol ebi tempura and sukiyaki. ... Thanks for the link that you gave me. I learned a lot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home