Can You Hear The Whispers of Your Soul?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." Ah such a wise man that Oscar Wilde!

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Quiet Please! I Wanna Sleep!

The old lady two houses away is probably not the most pleasant person in the planet, but I think I do appreciate that she doesn't think twice about chewing the ears off those loud and inconsiderate students who choose to while away their time chattery chatting under other people's bedroom window at 3 in the morning. It absolutely drives me nuts!!! Well, last night the little lady was either in a drunken stupor which temporarily disabled her hearing or she is on holidays, because I am so sure that she wouldn't have let this go without a bit of a drama. She puts her foot down in occasions such as this.

Where I live is pretty quiet, away from the main street yet still literally a hop away from cafe's, bookshops, the university, and other conveniences. Around the area live mostly families, and perhaps just a couple of houses with students or young professionals. Overall an ideal location, a safe area. Ideal can be due to different factors, such as its proximity to places, especially the university (now that I'm no longer a student, it's still not too bad as we're literally at the city fringe). The downside could be the same thing... being close to university!... where one would find the biggest population of drunkenness and endless parties. I must admit that it's not that often that we're disturbed by such things, but when it does happen I can get pretty cranky especially when it has to be an early day the next morning!

Going back to the night prior, holy guacamole a bunch of people whom I would assume just got back from a party (or kicked out of a club i wouldn't be surprised... coz yes it's bloody closing time!!!) decided that they'd loiter around our normally quiet little alley, plant themselves under my window, talk silly, laugh and holler as if they were demented fools in an oh-my-goodness-as-if-the-whole-neighbourhood's-deaf volume level. Yes, I should have done something right?... but I didn't! Ugh. It's not being a coward but more on being careful. I don't fancy the idea of going down in dressing robes and facing up to a couple of strangers whom I was not certain whether or not are drunk enough to smash a bottle at me. I've thought of thowing tomatoes and eggs at them out from my window, but I am out of tomatoes and if I miss then what a waste of eggs!

I have no idea when they decided to transfer to another venue, or if any other neighbour actually came out with a baseball bat or with that ferocious doberman from the adjacent house. Whatever. Such an annoyance really to be kept tossing and turning in bed when the body and mind are so ready to have a rest, even more so annoying to know that some thoughtless people whom you don't even know are the cause of your sleeplessness. When I party, I make sure I get home with a clear head on my shoulder, and I tiptoe too even at my own house when I know that someone's sleeping. Music's definitely off or turned on very low key after midnight.

I wanna say to some, for heaven's sake, don't squat at other people's porch or under someone else's window unless you're seranading them with cheesy latino songs! Also, not everyone would enjoy another's festivities, if you're planning to disturb the whole neighbourhood from your loud, metallic, head-banging parties at 2 in the morning, don't be pissed off when police cars come disbanding the party. Geez, do I sound like one of those uptight, middle-aged ladies with hair curlers, coming out and screaming at high school kids running around the neighbourhood? I hope not. Hey, some courtesy doesn't hurt. And I hope the little, old lady next door comes back.

8 Comments:

  • At 3:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL... so you think it's better if the beer bottle is thrown towards the old lady huh?...=P

     
  • At 1:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd throw water out the window. heh. Heh. :)

     
  • At 1:49 pm, Blogger Sassafras said…

    sana tinawag mo sa pulis...o di kaya, wala bang neighborhood watch diyan...

     
  • At 8:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jovs, about two years ago, a young lady living two doors away from mine would hold her parties from midnight till 5 a.m. There were loud music, laughter and shouting. After a week of sleepless nights, I wrote her a letter telling her that in the Philippines (she's a foreigner, a Southeast Asian), what they were doing was considered a criminal offense: alarm and scandal so if she didn't stop, I'd call the police. I complained to the landlord and when they did it again, the landlord threw them out. :)

     
  • At 10:57 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Next time you go on a Philippine vacation, invest on an "arinola"...buhusan mo ang mga kumag ng fresh wee-wee haha. eewww!

    Kidding aside, it was a wise decision that you stayed inside instead of confronting them...you just don't know what rowdy drunks are capable of doing lalo na kapag napahiya sa harap ng barkada.

     
  • At 10:35 am, Blogger Senorito<- Ako said…

    a blowtorch wouldve been handy... definitely..

     
  • At 6:13 pm, Blogger Jovs said…

    Andrew, hmmmm... I didn't say that! =p

    Char, we have water restrictions eh! Mwehehehe. It crossed my mind but I know that I really wouldn't do anything that involves throwing stuff. Carol is right, call the police maybe.

    Justice, yep! Thing is, to us what they do may be irritating but to some it's no biggie, therefore once in a while one gets accused of being too uptight and anal. Hehe. My tolerance is pretty good but there's a line.

    Sass, no such thing as neighbourhood watch here... di naman kailangan, it's pretty safe.

    Bugsy, ayayayyyy... so she didn't heed your letter eh? Some people just don't friggin' give a rat's a**. But good thing your landlord did something about the disturbance. Any reaction from the young lady?

    Rhada, bwahahahaha! Ang lupit!!! Napaisip tuloy ako... pero... pero... that would also mean that I've to endure wee-wee smell at the front door, unless I scrub it off! Haha!

    Senorito,......or if in America, a shot gun. *Poinks!* Salbahe ko. Just kidding!

     
  • At 12:58 pm, Blogger Ka Uro said…

    best to call the police in these situations and not confront them. just tell the police that there are suspicious people loitering around your area.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home