Can You Hear The Whispers of Your Soul?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." Ah such a wise man that Oscar Wilde!

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

At The Risk Of Sounding Like An Old Fart...

As cliche as it may sound, time really just whooshes by. Swift and without hesitation, whether we be mindlessly strutting around with no care of the world or frantically guzzling in everything we could in the hopes that we'll beat it in its swiftness. But no, there's no contest when it comes to that one. It is scary to think that it waits for no one, pauses for nothing. It never was an issue before... at least not for me. It only became one of concern when events and life experiences gave me the realisation that our existence really can be compared to a stage play. A stage play which can either be a bore or a ball, one that leaves no impression at all or a lasting mark. Regardless of which, however colourful and abundant, dull or empty, the curtains will have to be let down. In time. When these thoughts hit, they do stir up some nerves and panic. Where has time gone? What have we done in the many years that we've lived? And how much time do we have left?

Sometimes I ask myself those questions. Although people will always nonchalantly say "no regrets," I still think that this can not be entirely true for everybody. In all honesty, which one of us can really proclaim that there is no one thing we didn't wish we haven't done or vice versa? Personally, I do like where I stand now and there are a lot of things which I am proud of having accomplished and experienced, but hell I'd be lying if I don't say that similarly there are also stuff which when I think about would make me shake my head and want to kick myself. We all have been fools at one point or another. The good thing about knowing is that there is a possibility for action... and perhaps make better use of our time each day in a way that would eventually make us feel more fulfilment and accomplishment.

I'm on a random stream of writing mode at the moment. The trigger?... oh perhaps just my usual profound and reflective self... not! I do contemplate and have a think of such matters once in a while, on how to better maximise my time and reach a goal using up the shortest possible length of time. But on to a very normal, everyday illustration of how these thoughts came about is my every day stint at work. There are endless milestones to do and one goes in refreshed and ready for battle each morning, only to find that at the end of the day there's still so much more. After gazillions of meetings, tons of discussions, and whathaveyou's, each day is like chasing up that run-away hour. Better than being idle, wouldn't you say? Sometimes I do wish I could successfully fit into the schedule some essential professional development though. In time, it will happen, but I wish the sooner the better. Sometimes I wish that the weekends would go by in slow motion, but the contrary always happens.

I suppose it is the want for a richer, more quality-filled existence that makes one want to hold on tighter. I have also now understood that the reason why a child doesn't realise the significance of time nor worry about how short life is... is because a child has seen only a small portion of what adults have seen and experienced. At the risk of sound like at old fart... when one has spent a third of his life already, then the other two-thirds would seem not too far away.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:29 am, Blogger Yen Prieto said…

    i totally agree with what u said that the cliche "no regrets" doesnt apply to everybody. there r a lot of bad things that happened to me in the past and when i think abt that, i cant help it pro may pagsisisi pa din akong nara2mdaman sa loob. its frustrating, but things happen, we just have to accept that we made a mistake, soon after u've picked up the pieces, you'd realize that what and how much you gave up were well worth in the end. the most valuable thing you can take from the experience is the lesson of how not to do it again. afterall, what we are now is the sum total of eveything that happened, good and bad. cheers!

     
  • At 12:01 am, Blogger Char said…

    Suddenly, i feel old and very very tired. I miss ya!

     
  • At 11:08 am, Blogger Ka Uro said…

    jovs,
    very profound and contemplative naman ang post mo. very appropriate for the year that's about to end. reading between the lines i could surmise that you are in a stage in your life where you are looking for a deeper meaning of your existence. it happens to all of us. it's been happening to me for a long time now. i wish you the best and may you find whatever it is you are searching in your life. cheers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home