Can You Hear The Whispers of Your Soul?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." Ah such a wise man that Oscar Wilde!

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Weekend Afternoon Delight

When my siblings and I were younger, we did not ask for toys as much as kids would normally do. My older brother would be happy and content with his little plastic toy soldiers which he would play with by himself, strategically positioning them on the bed setting up a "battle field," with blankets and pillows as his make-shift terrain and mountains. At that time I thought he was extremely silly mimicking sounds of explosion and gun fire, creating his very own war zone simulation. Apart from that sort of play, I hardly remember anything else. And oh, we'd also collect the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from fastfood value meals. As for myself, I've had one Barbie, my clearest recollection of which is its head being accidentally pulled off by my brother (now that I think of it, was it really accidental?). I must also admit that I had quite a number of stuffed toys - but mostly gifts from grandparents, aunts, and other relatives.

There were not many memories of playing with toys or buying toys or wanting any particular toy. And when I reminisce about fond memories of my childhood, image of playtime does not surface. I never consider this as any form of deprivation or missing out, for we had an absolutely enjoyable and fun-filled childhood. My parents made sure that things that we acquire or activities that we dwell in would eventually contribute to our learning and development. Anyway, what I have a lot of clear memories of are evening scrabble and boggle sessions with my mom and my older brother. I was so addicted t
o these two games; my mom has set these sessions to be interesting and playful instead of presenting them as a mode of study. Another reason that I can think of, now in hindsight, is perhaps because I was competitive with my brother and word games are one of the few things that I mostly always come out as a winner of. Our bookshelves and cupboards were abundant with board games that we love, including cluedo, monopoly, hangman, guess who, pictionary, among others.

That probably explains why up to now I am still a big fan of board games. Some of them can be enjoyed by even just two people, while others are better played when there is a bigger group. My collection have grown since, added onto the list, although non-exhaustive, are guesstures (a game of charades), cranium (combo of charades, art & drawing, fact trivia, and vocabulary & words), risk (a war game heavily based on strategy, attacks and counterattacks), betrayal at house on the hill (adventure game). These days, scrabble is still around the top of my roster of favourite board games. In fact, I'd call it one of my weekend afternoon delights. On lazy weekend afternoons, over steaming latte or capuccino, A and I would challenge each other to a game. The beauty of scrabble is that it's a game that tests not only the players' vocabulary, the knowledge of the existing 2-letter words (yes, this is quite important when having to connect to other letters), but also the level of one's game plan, the ability to formulate a strategy. We'd like to see it as a friendly game, and yes it always is... but no mercy. Ha ha! I must say that it is all the more interesting when playing with people who are genuinely interested and who do their best to come up with a good word, who actually strategise and plan out on how to kick the opponent's arse. Only in this scenario can a player feel the challenge, thus contributing to a good game. I find too that during these games, long-buried words that I haven't used or encountered for eons of years suddenly resurface... and there's a feeling of gladness and delight! Bizaare, isn't it?

In one of our games, I took the liberty of taking a shot of the game's conclusion. And yes, everything you see there are real words, they exist and have meaning, not some random word that we imagined and made up.... hmmmm.... sometimes A wouldn't believe me though, sames goes here... a bunch of sceptics. *wink*

See, mom really knows best. She's introduced something that will forever be ingrained in us. Time for another play!

14 Comments:

  • At 10:37 pm, Blogger Char said…

    Is that an actual scrabble play you did on the picture? hahaha... you have the word "areolae". Hahaha.

     
  • At 1:42 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love to play scrabble,that's something me and my siblings and cousins do growing up.

     
  • At 9:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "AREOLAE"....I will remember it now... darn I lost a bet on that word...

     
  • At 6:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jovs - I posted a comment here the other day and it's gone.

    Anyway, I was saying that the first Scrabble set I had was a U.S. edition that cost almost 50 pesos way back in the 60s.

    I enjoyed Monopoly but not as much as I enjoy Scrabble. So one of the first games I purchased online was, what else, Scrabble! At least it allows me to play vs. the computer so I can play even if I am alone.

     
  • At 10:55 pm, Blogger Jovs said…

    Char, yep... no mistaking it... that's a real play. Words that I myself am surprised to still have dug out from the deep recesses of my gray matter... in a recent game we had, I put in the word "aorta," much more common than "areolae" but still quite a hit with Andrew. I'm sure that when we play with you, all these medical and dental terms will come out.

    Angelove, do you still play?

    Andrew, told ya I wasn't trying to dupe you. Mwehehehe! Don't worry, I suck at Risk anyway. So all fair and square?!

    Bugsy, hmmmm I didn't see an older comment; I'd normally have a comment-alarm sent to my email box and I didn't get any prior to your current message. Anyway, wow a Scrabble set back then was already 50 pesos? Pricey huh! I find a lot of these board games quite expensive, the most outrageous one I remember back in the 90s was Pictionary, it was selling for over 1500 pesos already at that time. I think there is an online site that allows you to play scrabble with another person online... and it's free. I forget the name but I'll get back to you on that once I find out.

     
  • At 10:00 am, Blogger Sassafras said…

    charcharrr! areolae din ang napansin kong word :D ... at si andrew pala ang kalaro ni jovs. (see you in december jovygirl. text ka pag andito ka na at magkikita na tayo!)

     
  • At 7:11 pm, Blogger Senorito<- Ako said…

    just for fun try using tagalog words hahaha..

     
  • At 10:30 am, Blogger Ka Uro said…

    i love playing scrabble. dati ang galing galing ko diyan at memorize ko lahat ng mga 2 at 3 letter words. very important yung mga yon if you want to get big scores. lalo na yung mga may X, Q, Z, J. pero ngayon wala na akong praktis.

     
  • At 2:35 am, Blogger arls said…

    ;) try scategories... it'll have you laughing and screaming!

     
  • At 8:09 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hubby and I used to play scrabbles a lot....don't remember why we stopped...just did, i guess.

    Games galore with other kids occupied most of my childhood days. Tumbang preso, taguan, habulan, chinese garter, luksong baka atbp. I also spent a lot of time climbing trees. Hayyyyyy......sarap.

     
  • At 2:06 am, Blogger binx said…

    i've always liked word games. i'm addicted to text twist. hehe! :)

     
  • At 5:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jovs - Maybe it's my connection. I posted comments on two other blogs and I didn't see them there either when I normally post successfully. Hay, this dial-up thing really puts me off.

    Back to Scrabble. I can see that you have a lot of readers who love the game too. I guess most bloggers or blogging fans love word games. I laughed out loud at Senorito Ako's suggestion that we try Tagalog words. When we were younger, my brothers and I tried Ilonggo words and we ended up fighting - as in wrestling talaga! Ha ha ha!

    There was a newspaper item the other day about the new Scrabble world champion. Oh, how I wish I can someday watch the world championship! I'm willing to wait for hours. The champion (sorry I forgot where he came from although I remember that he beat somebody from Indonesia) used words like qanat and another word using q without a "u". I searched for the news item online again but couldn't find it.

    Arls, can you tell us where to find scategories? I just love doing word games!

     
  • At 6:08 pm, Blogger Jovs said…

    My my... so if we get everyone who expressed interest in scrabble hooked up on one network, we could actually all challenge each other to a game, regardless of distance! Hehe!

    Senorito Ako, that's an idea... but Andrew's Tagalog vocabulary is very limited. Mwehehehe! And Tagalog words have a lot more k's than the normal scrabble set would have; we'll be frustrated 'til we pull all our hairs out. Hehe!

    Bugsy... following on my point above, no wonder you guys concluded your game with a wrestling match. The scrabble championship, I've read that in the papers last week. The champion is a 14-year old boy from Sri Lanka. Follow this link for the whole article: http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/champion-as-good-as-his-words/2005/11/18/1132016981757.html

    Ka-Uro, hahaha... rusty na ba? One would, after not having played for a long time, but you'll pick it up as quickly too once you start again.

    Arls, what is scategories? Can we purchase in Manila? Mahal mahal ng mga games dito. Average price for board games like Charades, Risk, Trivial Pursuit is around $80-$100. If I can get some games from back home at a cheaper price, then yeahhhh!

    Rhada, hahaha... I've read one of your earlier writings before, about being a real outdoorsy type of kid. =)

    Tin, we also get the daily paper and would play the Crosswords, etc. There's a numbers game called Sudoku which Andrew plays as well.

    I guess we're all kids at heart. =)

     
  • At 3:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jovs, yehey! I discovered something. (1) Here is the picture of the World Scrabble Champion - Adam Logan from Canada (perhaps you meant another match won by the 14-year old boy).
    http://www.wscgames.com/2005/ (2) Best of all, we can follow the finals in this link - play for play - also in that site.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home