Can You Hear The Whispers of Your Soul?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." Ah such a wise man that Oscar Wilde!

Monday, December 12, 2005

Second Day in Manila

Second day in Manila and already been to two shopping malls, two cafes, a couple of restaurants, and averaging on 6 hours of sleep each night. My holidays "back" home have always been more of jam-packed days with series of appointments and engagements strung up... oh I do enjoy the high and fast life, and exhausting as it may be I just wouldn't feel satisfaction without having caught up with everyone important. And oh we're just starting... Since it is almost always around December when we come home, the holiday becomes an even more elaborate one because of the festive season. Family lunches, dinners, and Christmas functions are all part of the show. Despite of the whole holiday rush, I especially love this time of the year because of how special people really make it to be. One good way of distinguishing the Philippines' unique celebration of Christmas would probably be taking some comments from someone not raised here because they just have a fresher and different perspective. A's words when he first came to visit last year: "wow, this is really different, it's amazing!"

Random bits of these two days... Yesterday was salon day for my mom, as well as A who came again with me. His first time to have his hair cut in the country and I couldn't be prouder that he felt the "workmanship" is impressive. I still am not ready to take him to the local barbershop, so his first induction was in a higher-end Makati salon... we take baby steps; the next time it will be with Mang Rodel just around the block. Ha ha! We had a walk around the new Greenbelt (man, they've changed a lot from before!!!) and had afternoon tea at Bizu - recommended by buddy Char. Today's another day exploring stores and good buys, with reliable merchandise-hunter Char and another good friend Arls. This is like letting loose of some of the self-restraint imposed on "self" in terms of shopping, for now I could at least justify the worthiness of stuff I'm buying relative to price. And these friends of mine have the best retail information as well as sharp eyes and superb taste. Don't you agree that one always needs another who would honestly tell you if your ass looks fat in the shimmery skirt you're trying on, or if you'd better leave a dress on the rack lest you risk looking like a piece of sausage uncomfortable in its wrapping. Ayayayyyy I realised that I've missed my friends so much.

Okay, we've done this last year but almost did it again this year... roam around Malate pointing our real women vs. not-real women to A. He couldn't tell the difference... honestly!?!!! Thanks to Char's uber-cool uber-hip parents who treated us to dinner at Aristocrat where the chicken bbq is most famous (restaurant trivia: they serve an average of 30,000 of the bbq chicken in a month!). That area near the bay has changed quite a bit as well... some of us say that there's not much improvement in the country, but in some ways or another there are bits and pieces of good changes. There are more lights now, the area's livelier with food stalls/kiosks around. It's visibly cleaner but true, needs a bit more push for better. I was cautious walking around with my bag and all, but I didn't feel unsafe.

Just totally enjoying this. For the meantime, there'll be random updates here but perhap not as structured. I'm in holiday high.

11 Comments:

  • At 1:36 pm, Blogger Jovs said…

    Hi Maan! I'm not sure when and where it'll be. *Guilty*...but I wasn't even aware that there'll be one, I guess I've been a pretty much delinquent blogger these days. Then again, I probably won't coz sched is quite hectic and all my evenings are kind of "booked" already... as showbiz as it may sound. Ha ha! Won't be in Manila for a very long time rin... there are still relatives organising gatherings here and there too.

    Will you be going? Have fun!

     
  • At 3:37 pm, Blogger binx said…

    wow! you're in pinas pala. enjoy the holidays here! iba talaga ang xmas dito no? =)

     
  • At 6:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    too bad we weren't able to catch each other in manila. i'm back in Vancouver. maybe i'll just wait for you to get back in australia. i'm sure the freight will be a lot cheaper from down under than from pinas.

     
  • At 10:02 am, Blogger Senorito<- Ako said…

    Man-O-Man... never kong naisip na mami-miss ko ang pinas ! :)

    Enjoy manila... dang I even miss the traffic ! :)

     
  • At 8:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aaahhhhhhh inggit ako!!! I won't say I hope you enjoy yourself because I KNOW you will. :) Whenever people come back saying they were bored, had nothing to do, etc etc. I wonder if they were only suffering from an extreme case of jetlag or something. I mean, it's like you can come up with a theme, stick with it, and have a blast: food, beaches, shopping, nightlife, etc. Keep us updated with your activities so I can turn green with envy and match the (mostly fake) Christmas trees all around me here.

     
  • At 4:27 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    You seem to be having so much fun! Go for it, You deserve it!!! Enjoy!! Happy Shopping!

     
  • At 1:45 am, Blogger Analyse said…

    hey happy holidays! enjoy the philippine xmas spirit. inggit ako..

     
  • At 3:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! You're home. I can just imagine the traffic and the crowd at the malls. If there is one time I wouldn't like to be caught in the malls in Manila, it's Christmastime. It takes hours just waiting for a taxi ride.
    Merry Christmas, Jovs and enjoy your stay!

     
  • At 4:32 pm, Blogger Jovs said…

    Tin, thanks! Road congestions aside, everything's pleasant! Ha ha! I'm just so very thankful to be back.

    Maan, I'm sure they'll hold one again for you guys... just give the word, iba na ang sikat ba? Hehe!

    Evi, I don't mind sending your gift from here or from OZ. Both should be the same. Anything in particular that you fancy?... reasonable request ha! =p

    Senorito Ako, may traffic rin naman dyan ah... di nga lang sasakyan. *toinks!*

    Gigi, hah!...you're absolutely right... it can never get boring around here, especially if one is back for a holiday! Evident from my lack of posts and updates, I've been running around fulfilling all sorts of duties to families and friends - seems like a year has to be crammed into 2.5 weeks! How long haven't you visited Pinas?

    Rhada, thanks! I sure will, and I hope you guys have a good one too!

    Analyse, when will you bring your bundle of joy to Pinas to show off to your kamag-anaks? Hehe!

    Justice, when are you guys off to S'pore?

    Bugsybee, does it get congested as well in Bacolod during the Christmas season? Sinabi mo pa... my cousin who lives around Makati lang took more than an hour to get to Glorietta last Sunday, and then another half an hour to find a park... and she's still lucky to have snatched one in that timeframe! My oh my, we've a strong malling culture, what can I say?

     
  • At 6:08 am, Blogger Yen Prieto said…

    busy ka na jovs.. panay gimik ka cguro at kain jan sa pinas ngyn...

     
  • At 11:55 am, Blogger Ka Uro said…

    jovs, kakainggit naman. namiss kong bigla ang mga malls sa atin. me too i was impressed with the changes in greenbelt. try cubao too, laki rin ng pinagbago. enjoy your vacation and have a merry christmas.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home