Can You Hear The Whispers of Your Soul?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." Ah such a wise man that Oscar Wilde!

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Tram Story 3

In my previous two tram stories, observations on conversations and behaviours of passengers were told. In this one, the spotlight goes to the tram driver. My very simple categorisation of them - either they're nice or they're rude. The nice ones, well... the stories would be quite dry eh?... just your regular accommodating driver who answers your questions on directions, stops, tram routes politely, and who would occasionally strike up a chit chat and wish you well on your journey. End of story. There really couldn't be any more than that because their eyes and concentration have to be on the road. That leaves us with the rude ones, and boy oh boy once you meet them once, you keep on bumping into them again!

The two recent rude driver incidents that irked me the most happened a week apart from each other, which got me into serious thinking of writing YarraTrams to complain. Perhaps nothing worse could start one's morning off than missing his transport, be it a bus, a train, or a tram. In the two instances I refer to, I didn't miss my tram, but I was deliberately left behind! The first incident, running towards the stop while the tram was approaching, complete in stilettos and running against the blowing cold, early morning Melbourne wind, I caught a glimpse of the driver's face and she caught a glimpse of the running figure. Our eyes met, only for a second. I continued running while it continues to the stop. I got to the end of the tram as its doors were closing. So I pressed the button again for the door to open. It did not. I pressed it again, nothing... and then the lights turned green and so the tram driver drove away! Of course I was exasperated! I couldn't believe that she refused to open the door for a passenger while she was on halt anyway. Others may reason that she probably didn't know I was pressing the door button. I think otherwise. She knew I was running for that ride. She deliberately ignored the alert that some one is wanting to go on board. I could only stare in disbelief as the tram gets smaller and smaller, standing there in the freezing cold. There was a witness... an inspector, who approached me and apologised for what happened. He took down the number of the tram driver and told me that he saw what happened and that he'll speak with her when she returns. Man, if it was my personal chauffeur, I would have fired her instantly. What was in her mind? What, that I could always catch the next tram? What if I needed to go on her route? Did it give her a sense of satisfaction knowing that she had that power to shut someone off and make them miss their transport? Whatever her reasons were, it certainly did not make YarraTrams image all the better. Should I write them an infringement notice as well for failing to do their job properly, just as what they do to passengers who fail to produce a valid ticket? The second time was just this week, exactly the same thing, different tram driver though. Oh yes, I do remember their faces.

So, it's not only passengers who could be a pain in the ass. Tram drivers can be too. They need a good beating.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:41 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Kakaasar yun ha!!! Dapat masisante yun! I could just imagine how pissed off you were. Buti sana kung hindi nagkatagpo ang inyong mga mata, pwede pa syang bigyan ng benefit of the doubt....pero malinaw na siya ay nagkasala kaya dapat bigyan ng "guilty" verdict! ;-)

     
  • At 7:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bladdy hell..... If u r trying to convince me Melbourne is a nice hospitable place to live in... ur doing a great job

     
  • At 9:03 am, Blogger Senorito<- Ako said…

    you're quite lucky that an inspector saw what happened. If not it will be your words against hers d ba ?

     
  • At 8:28 pm, Blogger Jovs said…

    Oh well... what can I do? I just hope that she was given a bit of a lecture by her supervisor. Thinking about it now, I really wouldn't want her to get fired for that too (although I said that if she was my personal chauffeur I would)... *toinks!*

    Anyhow... and you think the stories of rude tram-vers are over. Hah! There's more.

    Bkiat, no worries... trams are not the only mode of public transport. You could also "explore" Melbourne on foot. ;p

     

Post a Comment

<< Home