Can You Hear The Whispers of Your Soul?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." Ah such a wise man that Oscar Wilde!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sniffles and Krispy Kreme

A sound like a croak of a frog, that's what my voice is like at the moment. And yes I am almost as deaf as a twig. It sucks being sick. Just having been in scorching Manila and topped off by HK heat, then arriving right smack in the middle of Melbourne winter... is a bad bad idea. Not that it can be helped. When it's biting cold, we complain. When it's too dry and hot, we complain. There's no end to it. That is probably why there's an entire news section to talk about the weather, as boring as it may sound.

Day off from work? I wish, but not a chance! Not when I've just been away for 3.5 weeks... I'll be stretching the generosity and leniency shown towards me if I do so. 3.5 weeks is long (not so when you're back), but evident from the pile of work greeting me on Monday when I went in the office. For three days now, my bin would be three quarters full of crumpled Kleenex. Heavy head, heavy lids, itchy throat and nose, coughing like hell... it's that time that one craves most for mom's home-made chicken soup. I'll even take the duck soup with all those herbal medicine that used to be forced on me. It doesn't help when the air is thick with the word "deadline" and "pressure", as such the boss is at your back, and the boss's boss is at his back, and the boss's boss's boss is at the boss's boss back... if you get the drift... because the one who ends up staying late is the one who doesn't have the title of the "boss" yet! Ayayayyy!

It's mid-July, in less than two months' time... radios in the Philippines would be playing Christmas carols. Oh how I miss that kind of atmosphere! Am I going back again at the end of the year? Think about that when the time is near. In the meantime, I hope the sniffles will go away and that I get my Krispy Kreme from Sydney tonight!

10 Comments:

  • At 2:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jovs. Rain or shine, it always sucks having to go back to work after an enjoyable vacation, no? It isn't scorching heat around here anymore; in fact, it's already typhoon season and we've had a couple of bad news tonight (landslides, the usual water-up-to-my-hip scenes, flooded streets and irate parents of school children whose classes were suspended only at noontime). The good news is: no classes for Manila schools tomorrow.

     
  • At 9:58 am, Blogger Ka Uro said…

    jovs, get well soon!

     
  • At 2:02 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    pagaling ka kaagad Jovs!

     
  • At 2:27 pm, Blogger Senorito<- Ako said…

    Well... extreme conditions changes the properties of somethings.. like crispy pata... biglang babad sa icy water... sarap.. lutong.

    :) Get well soon Ms. Krispy.. kreme (not pata)

     
  • At 10:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it's typhoon time in Manila, i heard. 3.5 weeks! so what do you expect, no work when you arrive? hehe, but yer right, being sick doesnt help. get well soon!

     
  • At 12:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope the home-delivered Krispy Kreme eased your cold a bit...=P

    Get well soon! I will cook something nice and warm tomorrow for ya. Fancy my Osso Buco or chunky bolognese pasta? Perhaps chicken mushroom soup or duck soup with loads of Chinese medicine? ;D

     
  • At 7:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I siiiiick tooo!!! sick of work, haha. where's my krispy kreme? :D Get well soon joviveeee. The weather here's rainy all the time, sarap matulog, its taking all my willpower just to go to work.

     
  • At 7:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    aw, hope you get well soon jovs.

    there's an easy-to-do concoction that i found in pinoycook.net that's good for cough & colds... a half of lemon & 1 tbsp of honey in a cup of hot water. :)

     
  • At 10:12 am, Blogger Jovs said…

    Bugsy, you bet it is! I'll be guilty to say that I am already planning my next trip!

    KaUro, Rhada... thanks! So much better now, after a good rest.

    Senorito, good analysis tol. *poinks!*

    Analyse, and so I've heard. Well...3.5 weeks of holiday, I do expect some work when I get back, but not THAT much! The ideal situation is that the company has a contingency plan and back me up when I'm on holiday right? Otherwise, what if I decide to NOT go back? Ha ha ha!

    Wes, it's always the way, isn't it? Imagine winter... it's even colder and there seems to be no incentive at all to get out of the warm, fluffy doona.

    Pao, thanks for that. Another concoction that is good is slices of ginger boiled in water, mix with honey.

     
  • At 2:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Krispy Kreme is soon coming to HK in Causeway Bay... but sis, think of all the sugars and calories in one of those!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home